Ativan (Lorazepam) is prescribed for treatment of anxiety,
prophylaxis of insomnia, and also treatment of spasms including
In some cases this drug may be prescribed as myorelaxing and analgesic remedy during different therapeutic procedures.
Way of use and dosage
Ativan (Lorazepam) belongs to the class of psychoactive medical
products, so that each patient needs an individual course of treatment
prescribed by the doctor, based on the prior consultation.
– Ativan is produced in tablets of 1 mg and 2 mg
– The use of the tablets should be started from the low dose gradually increasing it up to the optimal dosage.
– The initial daily dose is 2 mg for adults
– Then the daily dose may be increased several times. Up to 6-8 mg divided into several uses
– The maximum daily dose for adult patient is 10 mg
– Children under 12 years are adviced to use 4-8 mg a day
Your attending doctor should indicate the optimal dosage regimen
based on the therapy results and sensitivity of the patient to the
active components of the drug.
Treating insomnia the drug should be used about 30 minutes before
sleep. This will help to get the maximum effect and quickly fall asleep.
– The daily dose should be divided into several uses (every 8
hours). Do not take the daily dose in one reception. It will help you to
maintain the optimal level of the active components in the body and
reduce the risk of side effects.
– During treatment ethanol consumption is strictly prohibited
– Patients with arterial hypotension, cerebral sclerosis, heart failure or low body weight should adjust the dosage regimen
– It is not recommended to use Ativan (Lorazepam) in case of the
respiratory diseases, pathological dysfunction of liver or kidneys,
maniac or suicidal syndrome
– The active components of the drug may harm the fetus and
penetrate the breast milk, and therefore it is necessary to stop taking
Ativan (Lorazepam) during pregnancy and in the period of lactation.
Tiredness and sleepiness, dizziness, increased tiredness, muscle
weakness, nausea, low appetite, dulling of emotions, slow down of the
mental and motive reactions and lowering of the arterial pressure may
All these potential side effects are possible during the increase of
the daily dose or in case of the individual intolerance of the active
components of the drug.
Following precautions and dosage regimen which are indicated by the
doctor it is possible to reduce the risk of the possible side effects.
The prolonged use of Ativan (Lorazepam) in the maximum doses may
cause the psychological and physical addiction, and therefore it is
necessary to make breaks in the treatment.
*Materials which are provided herein have informative character and
are not an instruction for the obligatory action. The developers of this
Internet website only provide information which should be known for the
safe use of the medical products but they highly recommend consulting
qualified doctors before starting the use of any strong remedies.